Montag, 4. August 2014

Host Family Letter

Hier ist wie versprochen der Host Family Letter. Er ist ziemlich lang und ich hoffe, dass er manchen von euch vielleicht weiterhelfen kann:


Dear host family,

First I would like to thank you for taking the time to read this letter even if we don't know each other. Down here I want to show you what kind of a person I am and why I want to come to Canada.
My name is Magali and I am fifteen years old. I live on the French-German border in the very south of Germany next to Freiburg. At school time I mostly live in Germany at my grandmother's because it's closer to my school. At weekends, in the holidays and sometimes at school time I live in France at my parent's. There I have three cats and a dog, which I really love. My grandmother's and my parent's house both have a big garden and are located in villages. The French one is very little and the German one has about seven times more inhabitants.
I have an older brother who just did his final secondary school exams and already studies mathematics. He plans to study physics at the MIT but will first have to graduate in a German university. We don't do much together but get along really well with each other. My mother is a secondary school teacher for French and German and sometimes Arts. My father isn't able to work anymore because of an accident he had, but once had his own express company.
I think I am a very open-minded person because I grew up in two cultures. My mother is French and my father German. I never lived more far away than forty kilometers from the French-German border. I am bilingual and that is very useful to learn English.
I would say I am shy but when I get used to people I become very convivial. I eat almost every food but I try not to eat much meat. I hope that won't be a problem.
I attend the French-German Secondary School. It's a special school because it tries to be perfectly bilingual and bicultural as there are students from Germany, France and Switzerland. I am in the ninth grade in the French section and recently applied for the economical section at my school for the tenth grade. The other ones were scientific and literary. Besides English I also learn Italian at school. My favorite subjects are Arts, Italian and English which I have been learning for four years know. I love speaking it which is exactly the reason why I want to go to Canada.
When I am not at school I mostly surf the internet, listen to music and read books. I love to watch movies too and I try to watch the original version if it is in English. I used to do horse riding, but I had to stop because of an operation at my foot. At the moment I plan to do hip hop dancing. When I have some time I like to draw mangas and other things. I love baking too. Usually I do it once a week.
I don't have many friends but the ones I have are really good friends to me. We all attend to the same school so we can see each other almost every day. It is difficult for us to do things together because we have lots of work and most of us travel more than an hour from school to their home. I like going to the cinema with a friend and we do some bowling once a year. They describe me as nice, amiable, helpful and inventive .
Two years ago I went to the United Kingdom for three weeks and I loved it to have English-speaking people all around me. There I started thinking of living in such a country for a few months. Then, last year I went to eastern Germany for an exchange to improve my German because my school wanted us to do either a French or a German exchange for two weeks. When I came back I knew I would have to do an exchange. I began to look for information. I finally decided to go to Canada because I always wanted to go there: I have and had family in Quebec, especially my great-grandfather I could unfortunately not see often enough but who I really loved. I also had a granduncle who was an astrophysicist in Montreal. One of his daughters still lives there, the other one moved to the US. I chose not to go there because I want to improve my English and not my French.
I want to do this exchange for several reasons: I want to improve my English of course. I also would like to experience beautiful Canada like only a Canadian can and to see as much as possible of it. I also want to get more mature and maybe, if possible get some more precise ideas of what I want to study when I finished school.
On a normal school day when I live in France I have to get up at six o'clock. Half an hour later my mother usually drives me to the next train station in Germany where I take the train with some other girls from France, which is one of the reasons why I prefer living at my parent's. When I arrive in Freiburg I take the tram to my school. It starts at 7.50 and lasts until 1.00 pm. I stay at school in the afternoon two to three times a week. When it is over I travel back the same way I got to school. I normally arrive at home either at 2.15 pm, or 5.15 pm or 6.45 pm. When I am in Germany I stand up at 6.15 am and take a bus and the tram to go to school. I come back the same way or by train and arrive half an hour earlier than if I was in France. Another reason I prefer staying at my parent's is that my grandmother is kind of exhausting as she is a widow and talks a lot when I am at her place.
I would like to thank you for welcoming me in your family and for showing me your culture, your country and your way of life. I hope we will get along very well with each other and have a great time. I am looking forward to it.

Yours,

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen